RHYTHM WORKS Integrative Dance
RHYTHM WORKS Integrative Dance has taken the popular Hip Hop Made Easy Program, currently in over 2500 schools & dance studios worldwide, and re-imagined it for use as clinical modality to be used alongside existing therapies, as well as a pathway to integrate kids with special needs and individual learning differences into inclusive dance classes. The curriculum is COMPLETELY CUSTOMIZABLE to fit the needs of your student and is appropriate for kids age 3 – adults, boys and girls.
THERAPISTS & EDUCATORS – NO DANCE EXPERIENCE? NO PROBLEM! You’ll learn everything you need to know to successfully use dance in your practice!
DANCE TEACHERS – Our continuing education program and resource guide will give you the tools you need to create a safe and supportive environment for the best possible learning experience!
- Rhythm Works Integrative Dance combines music, rhythm, and movement into a fun and effective therapy modality based on hip hop dance.
- RWID may be used as part of individual therapy sessions, as well as in group settings.
- Developmental, functional, and motoric goals may be supported through purposeful, client-centered rhythm and dance activities.
- The program also promotes development in self-regulation, attention and communication skills.
- 150 hip hop dance steps are classified into 31 categories to help aid common therapy goals.
- The RWID Certification Workshop identifies a variety of teaching styles to effectively accommodate individual learning differences.
- Attendees will learn how RWID can be customized for each client/student to improve outcomes for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Down syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Sensory Processing Disorders, ADHD, and other learning differences.
- Dance Educators
- Special Education Teachers
- Pediatric Occupational Therapists, certified assistants, and students
- Pediatric Physical Therapists, assistants, and students
- Speech and Language Pathologists, assistants, and students
- ABA therapists, assistants, and students
- Physical Education teachers
- Developmental Play Specialist
- Special exceptions made on case-by-case basis
Upon completion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Identify common sensory processing challenges and possible techniques to get the client/student into an optimal learning state.
- Identify physical challenges and demonstrate modifications of content based on the abilities of each client/student.
- Determine effective program activities that meet the elements of each client’s/student’s individual therapy goals.
- Recognize the “learner-type” of each client/student and demonstrate the most complementary “teaching styles.”
- Identify and replicate rhythm patterns, musical sentences, and music theory/structure.
- Identify and demonstrate developmentally appropriate choreography structure.
- Choose activities/dance games that incorporate skills from the 5 developmental domains (motor, cognitive, self-help, social-emotional, communication) based on the developmental level of the client/student.
Applications to Physical Therapy
Applications to Speech & Language Pathology
Applications to ABA Therapy
Applications to Dance Education…And MORE!!!
Once certified, therapists and educators will be able to use the principles of Rhythm Works Integrative Dance alongside their existing therapies as a new & exciting way to practice fundamental skills & achieve goals.
This introductory course is offered for 18.5 contact hours/ 1.85 AOTA CEUs (Classification Codes – Domain of OT: Performance Skills, Activity Demands; OT Process: Outcomes)
“The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA or indicate AOTA approval of a certification or other professional recognition.”